I've bookmarked no-knead bread recipes for a long time. It sounded super easy and is indeed fuss-free, just requiring time in the fridge therefore preplanning is necessary. Despite that, it still took me a long time to get round to trying it as I usually favor the TZ bread with it's soft texture.
Now, finally did it, and its so easy anyone can do it. It's also so convenient as you can make a large batch and keep it in the fridge, using portions of it as n when it is needed. I've made couple of rolls after 1 day in the fridge and a whole loaf after 6 days in the fridge. The roll was great; chewy and slightly dense. The loaf was a little gummy and even more chewy, with larger holes in the bread. Since the rye over-shadows, I don't seem to taste a difference in flavor development though older dough mixes are supposed to be slightly more sourish. Overall, I do not find that there's a significant difference between the 1-day rolls and 6-day loaf, so no need for additional days in the fridge if you already need the whole batch.
Recipe, adapted from here
2 cups bread flour
3/4 cup Rye flour
1 & 1/2 cup water
3/4 tablespoon instant yeast
3/4 tablespoon salt
Chia seeds, individual preference
1. Mix all above with a spoon and leave in a covered but not air tight container at room temperature for 2 hours.
2. Place in fridge and use over 1 week.
3. When baking, toss out the dough onto a floured surface. The dough is very sticky, so flour your hands and surfaces generously.
4. Flatten the dough to remove the air from the dough
5. Add raw walnuts chunks and roll into a ball
6. Using a sharp knife, make a few cuts on the surface of the dough and let it proof for 2 hours
7. Pre-heat oven to 200C before baking. Place crockpot inside oven to pre-heat for 15 minutes.
8. When dough is ready to go into oven, carefully remove crockpot from oven, drop dough into pot, cover and slip it back into oven.
9. Bake for 35 minutes.
10. Cool completely before cutting into slices
This was the roll with 1-day old dough. Pairs beautifully with milky soft tomato omelet.
Sharing this withYeastSpotting
BYOB hosted by Roxana's Home Baking
#TwelveLoaves January hosted by Cake Duchess